Friday, March 30, 2012

Journal 6

Clearly, the claim, warrant, and evidence are crucial parts to any argument. The claim is the statement – essentially, a person’s argument, which can be debatable. The warrant is the connection between the argument and its support (i.e. the evidence). The evidence is vital to the argument (as well as its connection to the claim and warrant) because it is what proves that a person’s argument has any grounds or proof on which it can stand.
For my topic, the claim is that the use of bibliotherapy via fiction (that is both appropriate and meaningful) is beneficial for adolescents and young adults. This topic can be debated because there are a variety of factors involved in this form of therapy (and in any form of therapy) – whether or not the person is willing to read, whether or not the therapist is able to find literature that can “get through” to the individual, and whether or not the individual is “open” to being reached through the literature. These are just some of the variables of bibliotherapy; I am sure that there are many more.
Connected to the claim is the warrant for the topic – that books can have a healing and therapeutic “power.” While attempting to not confuse warrant with evidence, a warrant brings to mind an emotional and relatable appeal. For everyone who has read a book and felt as though it helped him/her through a situation, this “claim” will make sense. They will be able to call to mind a time where they were able to connect to a character/plot/theme in literature and it had an impact on their lives. As Toulmin says, a warrant is “the connection (often unstated)” between an individual’s claim and evidence. In this way, my argument does not have to come out and state the warrant – rather, the reader will (perhaps subconsciously) make the connection by him or herself.
Lastly, the evidence is what proves an individual’s claim and allows the warrant to be the “bridge” between the two. For my topic, I want my evidence to be clear, concise, and persuasive. Great examples of evidence are case studies, graphs, and charts about the effectiveness of bibliotherapy on adolescents and young adults. While it has been difficult to find much evidence in this form, I know that I will be able to have quotes/ explanations from individuals about how/why this form of therapy worked for them. That evidence will be invaluable in my final presentation, as I believe that it will complete my argument and make it convincing.

3 comments:

  1. It appears a common theme among us comrades that including the definitions of what evidence, warrants and claims are helped us to make the connections to our arguments. Well played on our parts, if I do say so myself. I like that you said your topic is debatable, and that the various factors involved in this type of therapy determine its effectiveness. Your warrant for your argument was especially powerful; I’m sure most people have that one book that after they finished reading, really felt a connection with the author or offered some clarity to a situation they were going through. I think it’s important for individuals to make this connection themselves, since you can only let the book help you as much as you’re willing to let it help you. I think clear, concise evidence will really help make your point standout, and might open the eyes of your peers to a different way of coping with a particularly difficult situation.

    I look forward to hearing your final argument!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you are making a claim in your first sentence. To quote Ron, "well played."

    It seems as if your warrant is relying heavily on your audience. What do you say to the person who was never moved/affected by a book? I would suggest asking them if there was a song or movie that moved them - and then explain that bibliotherapy uses literature to do the same thing.

    I would love an ancedote or case study in bibliotheraphy - just so I can get a better sense of what the theraphy actually entails and its impact.

    ReplyDelete