Friday, January 13, 2012

Journal #1

In September 2011, I was eleven years old. Looking back, I can (attempt to, at least) understand the politics behind declaring a war on terrorism. But then, in the moment, the only thing that I remember was being scared and very, very confused.
New York City was far away, but not far enough to erase my fears. At eleven, rationality eluded me and I saw more planes coming into my hometown (population about 2,800). I saw people I knew being killed. Smith talks about how George W. Bush’s approval rating skyrocketed to 90% after his speeches, which is “the highest percentage enjoyed by any president in history.” (9) I understood the initial response to retaliate. I felt it myself, even at my age and with the little facts I was able to grasp.

After the 9/11 attacks, I saw unity. I saw the President of the United States convincingly outline the problem that needed solved, all the while assuring the public of their safety. His rhetoric was effective, both at convincing the public that unity was needed and also that the issue was really that simple.

Even though it was not that simple, I did not see it. I did not understand politics then, and I dislike them even now. But the fact remains that, whatever George W. Bush’s politics were/are, the rhetoric he used persuaded a very large majority of Americans that there was an issue of special urgency that needed to be dealt with. The words he used – unifying the American people by saying “we are a country awakened by danger” and creating concern with “these terrorists kill not merely to end lives but to disrupt and end a way of life” (10) – were persuasive. These words were persuasive because they appealed to the people of the United States, particularly on an emotional level.

While others may have recognized ulterior motives (Smith discusses Bush’s political popularity, for one), I did not. All I saw was my nation attacked. I saw the numbers flashed on television screens, the massive amounts of rubble, smoke billowing ominously over the New York City skyline for weeks afterward. I heard Bush’s words and I saw American flags being raised, a rediscovered sense of pride in my country. Bumper stickers with the words “United We Stand” appeared suddenly; there was an understood agreement that saying “God Bless America” was no longer as controversial.
I was convinced. I believed. How could I not? His words tugged at something deeply ingrained in a majority of Americans: patriotism. The need to defend what was ours.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked your journal entry. I also wrote about the attacks on September 11th for my journal entry, and it looks like we had similar feelings. The confusion was chaotic, and I agree with what you said about thinking planes were going to crash into your hometown. I mean if you think about it, the plane (United Airlines Flight 93) that crashed in Pennsylvania isn't all that far away! You also said that President Bush spoke with great rhetoric and persuasion when he delivered his speeches, and I do think because of the national crisis people were able to look past their political preferences and find their inner patriotism.

    It was a bittersweet peacefulness, the controversies of "God Bless America" and saying the Pledge of Allegiance were silenced. It's a shame to say that national tragedies are one of few times we ban together with people who might think differently than we do, but that's what patriotism is about. I think because the attacks that happened on September 11th, not just in New York but at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and the crash in Pennsylvania helped to show Americans that terrorists can strike anywhere, anytime and we need to do all we can to prevent future attacks from happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true! I hadn't thought of adding info about the plane that went down in PA - it completely slipped my mind! Thanks Ang. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that this was an excellent post and mirrored my own thoughts and feeling concerning 9/11. I agree completely with you that others (such as Smith) found ulterior motives when discussing the speeches that Bush gave, however I disagree completely as I stated in my own post on the topic. I believe Bush's words were highly effective at motivating the country as well as unifying it. No words can aptly describe the sadness I felt on that day and the days and months after to such a tragic event in our history. I will never forget where I was or what I was doing when I found out what had happened.

    Erik Williams

    ReplyDelete